Advertisement

Male faeries

topic posted Mon, December 3, 2007 - 6:12 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
Since the search feature here is cumbersome, I'll risk what may be an old topic: Male Faeries, Where are they?

Why are nearly all depictions of faeries female? Is society so focused on fear of gay things that the association makes it so? I've found much exquisite art, with hardly a male to be found. And when they are, they're just too sugary to stand. This came up for me in a stained glass art booth when I saw this beautiful pewter fairy woman with stained glass wings (I have it). And I thought "Where are the guys?"

Tawlk amongst yourselves and report.

A friend of Oberon.
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Male faeries

Tue, December 4, 2007 - 7:01 AM
    Most depictions of faeries today are from the diminutivized faerie culture. Hardly a sigh is made about the powerful Tuatha d'Dannan, the faerie race from Ireland and beyond who most certainly included some very powerful and non-gay males. I know some folk on these groups believe in those Faeries and even teach about them but when it comes to art and pop culture about all we see is the little winged female Fae.
    I did a google image search of "male faeries" and half the pics were females, the others were "sugray" as you said. Except the first pic that came up which happens to be from a Tribe group: malefae. Although there were some actually masculine fae in the photos, including a great one of Oberon, many of the pics portray the malefae with titanic pricks..... I though Tribe had banned that stuff last year? Or it doesn't count for paintings, only photos.
    And why is "Fae" associated with "Gay?"
    The ancient Fae, both male and female were mainly heterosexual and bore children of these unions.
    Don't know if you were familiar with that malefae Tribe or not.....
    • Unsu...

Re: Male faeries

Tue, December 4, 2007 - 5:14 PM
      Actually, I'm in that group too. My post here was for the broader audience and I thought I'd get another perspective. Thanks for suggesting it though.

I actually wonder about the fae-gay association. Why so strong? Even as one on that end of the sexual spectrum, I don't have a clue. Whatever it is, it certainly seems to put off most who depict faeries. Guess they think it protects their children of something. Hmmmm.

Tue, January 13, 2009 - 12:40 PM
      I have a hard time explaining my religious beliefs to people who don't understand. The term "Faerie" is mostly associated with gay males like the "Radical Faeries". I don't know why this is but I think it is another example of how the church & others who oppress us use the term as a demonstrative term to eradicate the true belief in Faeries. Also all that Disney Tinkerbell stuff has almost nothing to do with the true origins of the Fae. There was a time in history when humans & Faeries worked side by side & they were considered Gods. I still think of them as Gods to this day & not some abstract image of some super power that lives up in the sky somewhere but one that is right here on earth in nature. Faeries are very sexual they are associated with fertility. How can you reproduce if all the Faeries are gay? Not that I have a problem with Gay people to each their own but I don't think of Faeries as gay & I get really pissed off when I bring up the subject of Faeries to people & they automatically assume because I am into Faeries that I am gay. I am an artist, unique & creative & I believe in the existence of living amongst us. We have just been conditioned to not believe them anymore & if you tell someone you saw Faeries they think you are crazy or pschizophrenic. I don't know why I have been given the gift to see Faeries at times but that is also talked about in legends of old as the "Second Sight". Sometimes drugs help to open the doorways just because it has been conditioned out of our minds not to believe in things like Faeries, Ghost, the whole supernatural world.. Which isn't really supernatural at all. Legends abound around the world that Faeries exsist & it has nothing to do with Tinkerbells & Gay people.
      • Unsu...

Tue, January 13, 2009 - 1:46 PM
        As I have reclaimed Pan from the sick transformation by the Medieval church into Satan, so I reclaim Faeries (loving that older spelling) for what they are as I understand them to be. I must admit that I'm a little tired of the cutesy versions and have more interest in the real thing and think it entirely possible that they exist.

I'm afraid the Disney-fying of the world (including the attempt to purge any adult-themed material everywhere) is troublesome. Not everything is supposed to be for children... but then I digress.

Tue, March 31, 2009 - 3:42 PM
          Any faerie artists out there? If we cant find pictures and history, lets make our own! This is a great project. Lets work on paintings and stories of male faeries! Perhaps a performance?

-Dizzy
          • Unsu...

Tue, March 31, 2009 - 8:00 PM
            When I get past dozens of other projects vying for my attention, I've been scanning in photographs of beautiful insect wings to use in Photoshop collage work combining them with friends' photographs for faerie art.

Wed, April 1, 2009 - 11:40 AM
            I suppose I could paint some more faerie men! I've been meaning to anyway... have some gorgeous guys that said I could draw them anytime. =P

Mon, December 10, 2007 - 4:47 PM
    Ask the Fairies.
    • Unsu...

Tue, December 25, 2007 - 8:47 AM
      yeah. Pretty much your modern male "fairy" picture is going to turn out as a satyr or something similar. Because faeries are now so rarely thought of as other than their frilly, tiny flowery modern counterparts, It is hard for some if not most people to stretch their brain to the idea of a male faerie proper.

You want I should draw you one ? :D
      • Unsu...

Tue, December 25, 2007 - 10:27 AM
        Thanks, Octavia.

Actually, I've been scanning photographs of insect wings for a Photoshop project depicting faeries. Day job and lack of time for that has kept me from lining up models to photograph. What free time I have is for my paintings on other subjects. Some day the unstoppable urge will come to begin the project and I'll be ready...at least with the wings.

Tue, April 29, 2008 - 11:05 PM
    I've costumed many a male faerie for various Faerie Parties over the years, but i have to confess I've seldom put wings on them.

I'm really not quite sure why, but now that it's in my head I'll be sure to try and shift that paradigm.

As the Children of Danu, the male Fae have a role to play, as the Fae bad-asses of the Otherworld.

Let's see if I can manifest some good pics this Beltaine.
    • Unsu...

Wed, April 30, 2008 - 5:39 PM
      I purchased a nice large pair of Amy Brown style wings for a ceremony a couple of years ago at a Gay Spirit Visions conference. I had a jerkin, which I wear from time to time at Renaissance festivals. Fortunately, they lace up the sides and the BACK, allowing for the attachment workings of the wings to remain hidden. Little did I expect that my "Oberon" would meet "Puck" who was hosting the talent show that weekend.

Tue, May 13, 2008 - 7:10 AM
        I am going to agree with Raven on this topic a bit. The whole faeries with wings is essentially a 19th century, mostly English invention, not unlike depicting cheribum as fat cute babies with wings.
        The Denizen of Faerie, it has been said, appear to people in forms that are most appropriate , but within the context of the cultural filters presented to them by the mind of the witness, thus in the technological society we live in, some see them as "little green men" from "outer" space.
        Being creatures of spirit, and somewhat less "split" in their sexual polarities, the question of sex is a valid one. My personal belief is that many do "appear" as female because of their being closely associated with Nature, and wester culture has a bias for associating the natural world with the feminine. This is not to say that there is no masculine energy in the fae realms, but I think it is a question of acculturation in some case.
        Male Fae are often seen in troops in folklore.
        The association with the Gay community I think has several reasons. The obviously one being the use of the Slang term Fairy for a gay male, the second being that again, fae nature being more balanced and androgynous can seem threatening to a polarized insecure hetero male in modern society who sees anything feminine as "gay"..
        You also have to look at the Feri tradition of Wicca as a connection there.
        Personally I think it is time for a renewal of an influx of balanced Male energy that honors the sacred in nature.
        It is high time for the princes of the Elven and Fae lands to reclaim their rightful thrones, and be the worthy consorts of their Faeries Queens and Princesses, which so many of you here are.
        • Unsu...

Wed, May 21, 2008 - 9:37 PM
          I have been fortunate to learn first hand, by sight and by telepathic means that the winged ones are as real as you and I. You can ask if you exist outside of the “Dimension of Humankind” and I do not have the answer. Ask me if Faeries, male and female exist in this or any other dimension and I can unequivocally say yes, they do. The veils that have separated the dimensions for millennia have dropped and we are the beneficiaries of this unknown scientific anomaly. The Faeries are from the fifth dimension, not originally of course, they were part of our dimension. The Faeries have labored hundreds of thousands of years to know and to live inside their spiritual selves. They vibrate at a rate of speed that we, as the slowest of all dimensions can only suppose. Our sciences and all that it knows, knows nothing. We as humans are identifiable in the other dimensions as the arrogant ones because we believe we are alone as king of the mountain. I invite all that would have courage to open your hearts to the prospect, no the reality that we share our dimension with many at this time. Spirits from long ago and spirits from yesterday walk among us from the “Dimension of Transition”. I will not call them spirits, but galactic beings share this ever shrinking dimension also. Those with the Faery energies are awakening now, awakening to our brothers and sisters of the world of which we were born. We have promised to be here now, in this time and place. We are here to awaken others who deny that they are of this lineage. If it is a past life that you dream of then why do you have the pointed ears, sharp chins and noses, you are certainly Faery. Or why you are short of stature, have pointed ears, rounded faces and remind yourself of your elfin roots. We are what we are supposed to be, and I do not mean human.
  • Unsu...

Sun, May 18, 2008 - 5:21 PM
    "As the night visits continued a few bubbles trickled to the top of the mirror and a moment later a jellyfish appeared drifting in haste towards the top of the mirror in the stream of bubbles that were now moving much faster. As the jellyfish cleared, the surface it vanished and the bubbles followed. Redirecting my vision to the bottom of the mirror brought with it the exploration, discovery and excitement of the deepest of seafloors as the deep-sea diver appeared from the shadows of the murky leagues and moved in a deliberate manner towards a larger group of bubbles. He all but vanished within one of the pods. Now immersed in bubbles the top of the diving bell remained in view, as it reflected a soft blue waver in the shimmering water.

A couple of seconds later a parachutist appeared fighting the invisible elements of nature. He glided above my head as the winds supported him but he fought against the gravity of the bedroom floor. The parachutist soared at a constant speed until the operator disappeared into cloud cover. He appeared once again for a split second before vanishing. I realized later that all the while I was enjoying the thrill of danger with the parachutist; he was l putting down a smoke screen for the diver and his diving bell to make the great escape. I recognized the signature moves of the parachutist as belonging to Robin. It appears as though Robin and I are enjoying some male bonding time together. He has gone the extra distance to allow my faults without making me feel that I am always doing something wrong." (A Faerytale" by Ron Cordes)

www.afaerytale.com

Wed, January 14, 2009 - 2:17 PM
      Maxine Gadd, has some GORGEOUS male faeries in her work! Check out her book!
      • Unsu...

Wed, January 14, 2009 - 2:40 PM
        Thanks, Leanna.

I went to a dozen or so sites to see if there were online samples, but didn't see one male. I'll keep her name in mind when I'm out looking at books. Her work is absolutely beautiful from what I've seen so far. Very rich and detailed.

Thu, January 15, 2009 - 5:12 PM
          I checked out her book from the library, perhaps you can too... She has two paintings in that book of a faery queen and faery king on facing pages, and the faery king looks like Simon Woods in "Pride and Prejudice", except Simon Woods doesn't have a cleft chin...

Sat, January 24, 2009 - 5:35 PM
            there IS a difference between radical faeries, which are often called faeries for short, bore from harry hey vision... and the (sorry)more fantasy versions of faeries...
            i feel both are real and valid , you as as much a right to exist as i do...
            blessed be.
            i am faerie and i am male

Sun, December 27, 2009 - 3:10 PM
      Thanks Ron! - I remember reading about Robin in your autobiography--- That is evidence right there that contrary to literature, there are heterosexual male faeries in the 5th dimension. If I remember, that Robin was quite a sportsman daredevil!

Fri, January 30, 2009 - 9:15 PM
    I think alot of depictions of faeries are female because theres alot of androgeny to the faerie physique. lol
    think... in alot of older discriptions, male faeries had female (nowdays) characteristics including: vanity, long hair, thin bodied, etc.
    And as ive noticed... alot of people have a hard time dealing with androgeny. lol I for one love it. but alas, thats just me. ^.^

ummm... as for faerie men in art... I love to draw faerie men. =D
    Also... ive noticed.... alot of artists tend to be better at drawing female figures, and thus their fey men tend to look kinda.... funny. ^.^
    • Unsu...

Sat, January 31, 2009 - 10:16 AM
      Amy Brown's work is so impressive, but I believe I've only seen one male in her work. Nevertheless, her paintings and drawings are among the best out there.

Sat, January 31, 2009 - 1:55 PM
      I often draw male faeries too but often times when I show the art to someone they think the male faerie I drew is a female. Yeah, I agree that Faeries can be very androgynous.

Tue, February 17, 2009 - 7:38 AM
      I completely agree with this. Being balanced beings, they tend toward androgyny. Many artists I know tend to think the female figure is just more interesting, more curves, less straight lines. Some of what defines gender for us now, did not so several hundred years ago (long hair for example). I think the "slightness" of such beings is in part to represent their ethereal quality. Pointed ears represent awareness, wings represent the freedom to move or "fly" from place to place.
      Once has to realize that these beings will present themselves to people as they would most be able to make sense of them.

Wed, February 25, 2009 - 1:02 PM
    There is a yahoo group which is all about the male fairy in fairy art. You will find it at: http.groups.yahoo.com/group/male_fairy

Sun, April 12, 2009 - 5:22 PM
    Hi Watchdog! The media and Arts are responsible for the almost 100% focus on female faeries because of our culture's over-admiration for the female body , and the fact that faeries are seen as slender, and a woman's body is more slender than a man's, so it looks good in paintings.

Actually-- there ARE male faeries-I've read many people's encounters with them-- Read this encounter where one woman saw both male and female faery:

Faery Friends paranormal.about.com/library...4_26.htm
    by Marlene

It was on the 22nd of June, 1999. I remember it so well. It was around 9 p.m. and I was outside under the growing moon. I was facing the east with my arms stretched up too the sky and I was asking for blesings for all the beautiful people upon Mother Earth. I turned around and looked up on top of the roof of the house, and there hovering about four feet above the tiles were two glowing lights! At first I was logically thinking, maybe it's a cobweb and is glowing under the moon's rays. But no, whatever it was was hovering up and down - both of these glowing light's!

Suddenly, I had this feeling come over me that whatever it was wasn't bad but good. I held my left hand out (the hand too receive) and I said, "It's okay, you can come to me. I mean you no harm." The glowing balls of light hovered down. Then I could see quite clearly that they were faeries. The female one landed right on my left hand, and I could see there was a male faerie hovering just back from her about eight inches away! My feelings told me that these beautiful beings were there for me for a special reason.

Just then my eldest daughter came running out the back door; she was having trouble getting the lid off something and needed help. They were scared away. They just dissapeared like that! I was taken aback with awe and wonder what I had just experienced. After my encounter, I did much research into faeries to learn all about them. I feel that these faeries have some connection with me now; I feel them close by even though they have not shown themselves again to me since this night. I leave them gifts."!

Sun, July 19, 2009 - 3:27 AM
    Thanks for drawing attention to this valid subject.. Which I think goes far beyond just faeries and touches on a much larger aspect of males in "western" society.

There are so many thoughtful replies to what you have brought up. It's a shame that beauty is so often marked as territory that only females can take part on without having sexual orientation imposed. Physical appearance nor personality, nor expression should be indications of sexual preference, nor should sexual preference matter a hoot to anyone for any reason anyway. It's disappointing, to say the least, that we live in a world where such unimportant, and indeed irrelevant matters are so over-emphasized. Males should have as much freedom in wardrobe, costumes and expression as females. Of course a person can wear whatever they want, but they also must then deal with persecution from subscribers of the status quo. Even at festivals such as faerieworlds there can be non-acceptance of the males who don't look masculine enough. A male's appearance is inexorably linked to sexual orientation in this bizarre society, and with that also comes the bizarre judgment and fear.

But alas, you are focusing on less "sugary" presentations and a lack of male faeries altogether. I have a wonderful book I received as a child called "Come Follow Me", and it's full of rhymes and art, and as many male faeries as females. I think if there is to be equal representation in the faerie kingdom, it's up to the males to do more art and more dressing the part.
    • Unsu...

Sun, July 19, 2009 - 6:11 PM
      Saturna, being a child of the sixties who wore the record out and saw Hair in NYC when it was new, This song came to mind and I can quote the lyrics from it (part of my Shower Tunes Repertoire):

"I would just like to say that it is my conviction
      That longer hair and other flamboyant affectations
      Of appearance are nothing more
      Than the male's emergence from his drab camoflage
      Into the gaudy plumage
      Which is the birthright of his sex

There is a peculiar notion that elegant plumage
      And fine feathers are not proper for the male
      When ac---tually
      That is the way things are
      In most species"

(We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread on Male Faeries.)

Fri, July 24, 2009 - 5:46 PM
        Nice lyric, and true in regards to nature. I believe that everyone, regardless of the contents of their nether regions, has a right to feel or be beautiful and present themselves in any way they choose without being judged. Males certainly have been denied that for a very long time. Males do a good job of policing each other to make sure they stay sufficiently rough and macho as well. So, it's no wonder that people don't feel too comfortable attempting to dress as or even depict males in a faerie role.

Fri, August 14, 2009 - 3:13 PM
          people do tend to see what they expect to see... when viewing otherwise we tend to not recognize...

when in park lands i see the playing of the wind on the grasses... and much much more...
          i am filled with joy, and am inspired to dance...

others may only see the trees and grass and are content...

still others may see a stray bit of candy wrapper and are saddened...

we walk in the same paths but percieve different worlds... hand in hand we can all see the joy

Sun, August 30, 2009 - 4:44 PM
            That's a good point, D' ner

I was thinking the same when I was looking outside of my car window at the beautiful woodlands on the roadside. My eye did end up going right at a beer can tossed on the side of the road, and I realized-- that the woodland was still beautiful in spite of the beer can.

When I'm outside,I feel compelled to pick up the garbage-- but the flowers and woodlands are beautiful regardless of any garbage thrown near them.

Regarding male faeries- they DO exist- I saw a female faerie last May- face to face-- and this encounter inspired me to search the internet for other similar encounters from other people. I found a slew of them where people also saw male winged faeries as well as female ones. Just because the media and popular art culture tends to favor painting female faeries doesnt mean that the guy ones don't exist. Read the encounter I copied in my earlier post on this thread. A woman had an encounter with both a male and female faerie while she was outside at night-- These beings don't go out of their way to appear to humans- but once in a while they will.
            • Unsu...

Sun, August 30, 2009 - 7:34 PM
              Lisa,

I'm surprised that I hadn't responded to your earlier post with the encounter you had. I'm envious. I also want to clarify my experience as saying I hadn't seen many popular representations of males. Since I believe that actual males do exist, it just seemed unfortunate that they're so under represented by artists. Some day if I can pry myself away from this exciting fixation with painting the Southwest, I may have to do some.

Sun, September 13, 2009 - 4:37 PM
                Hi Watchdog! Those Southwest paintings must be beautiful! I wouldnt doubt the faeries watch you paint and enjoy when humans paint from Nature.

Thanks -- I still am in awe of my encounter that May 31, 2008. I actually never believed they existed before throughout my entire childhood. It took me until the age of 45 to discover they DO exist! I actually met some Native American friends who had thier own vivid encounters -- one when a child -- and one of them not too long ago. I was envious of them too! So you know what I did? I prayed and asked God to let me meet one!

I forgot this prayer, then a month later, when I LEAST expected it- I found myself looking face to face with this beautiful small Being looking at me through a section of my hair- She was actually resting in My hair! I also saw love and empathy in her eyes, so she obviously was one of these Beings on the side of Light. Not from the Unseelie Court. She looked very regal -- yet she also had an innocence and simplicity about her. I will never forget her face. I cry when I think of it now- Maybe when I die I will get to meet these Beings! I wish I was clairivoyant like some who can see them alot.

Many of my online friends have seen flying colored lights -- one friend I know saw a small purple light fly from her mint patch over to her Lavendar section of her garden. She was taken by surprise. My impression is that these interdimensional Beings appear as Lights many times-- but they can appear to us as they truly are as well- it may take more energy for them to do this to meet us half way like this.

It is unfortunate that our media and Art world forgets the male faeries. Ron- one of the members (I believe) here has seen the male ones as well as the female ones. Check out that post I made above too of a woman who saw a male and female faery together -- watching her from the air when she was outside at night.

THanks for your reply and have a great week!

Lisa

Mon, September 14, 2009 - 11:08 AM
                  i made eye-contact with this little fellow about seven years ago...

he looked taller snd thinner with black eyes... but we watched eachother for about fifteen minutes...

people.tribe.net/dner/phot...9dfffd6867

:)
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.

Sun, December 27, 2009 - 2:59 PM
                    Awsome D'ner... i would love to come upon one of those Beings.. they look spunky and bold, innocent yet wild :-) I'd have to leave it something like some chocolate.

The faery I saw looked like a softer version of Brian Froud's Pixies-- but with softer , less wiry features and she was female--

She had totally all dark chocolate brown eyes with no irises at all-- and soft light cocoa brown skin- she also looked very regal as well as innocent. There was a very positive light in her dark eyes- Not scary or dark in the least.. I got a very positive vibe from her